Junior Achievement’s mission is to empower young people to own their economic success. Fulfilling that mission takes a great staff.
JA of Southwest New England looks for staff members who are passionate about helping young people, willing to work hard and enjoy being part of a high-performing team. All of our jobs require strong initiative, good judgment and excellent communication skills.
JA of Southwest New England is currently seeking a Director of Development to join our team!
Junior Achievement of Southwest New England seeks an experienced, strategic, goal-oriented and entrepreneurial individual to join our management team and help transform our organization with creative thinking that will grow the organization’s corporate and individual giving. Given its mission of financial education, Junior Achievement’s traditional donor base is the corporate community; like all JA’s across the country, it has raised most of its $2 million of annual revenue through fundraising events (large and small) and annual corporate and foundation support of JA’s programming. JA is now working to both deepen that corporate support and expand its strong individual donor base.
The Director of Development will manage a team of six development, events, and marketing professionals, and have primary responsibility for increasing JA’s revenue through improved donor stewardship, prospecting, and new initiatives. The ideal candidate will be passionate about JA’s mission and have the ability to develop and implement strategies to increase: participation in events (Business Halls of Fame, Partners in Achievement Breakfasts, Golf Classic, and Bowl-a-Thons), classroom sponsorship, outreach to individual donors, and new fundraising initiatives.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Fundraising, Management and Outreach:
- Meet and exceed financial goals and build awareness for JA’s mission
- Develop plans to grow special event and classroom sponsorship
- Cultivate relationships with new individual, corporate, and private foundation leaders
- Grow annual corporate support base
- Work closely with the program staff to identify new sources of financial and volunteer support and new opportunities for engaging prospects
- Lead development staff, forging a strong team dedicated to meeting and exceeding goals through superior stewardship and collaboration
- Develop strategies and implement processes to expand individual giving base including: major gifts, planned giving, annual campaign, fundraising events
- Expand revenue base both within and outside of Hartford County
- Bachelors degree required
- 5-10 years experience in development field
- 3-5 years management experience
- Experience managing special events and/or supervising special events staff
- Competitive and results-driven with the ability to motivate staff and volunteers to secure gifts
- Strong relationship management skills with the ability to work with a variety of constituents, including event sponsors, corporate leaders, and individuals
- Excellent organization, presentation, and communication skills
- Grant-writing experience a plus
- Commitment to providing superior customer service
- Ability to work as a self-starter in a team environment, inspiring others
- Computer literacy, including Microsoft Office and experience with fundraising databases (i.e. Raiser’s Edge, BCRM, QGiv, and First Giving)
If you are interested, please email a cover letter, resume, and recent writing sample(s) to Jeremy Race, President & CEO, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
President & CEO
Junior Achievement of Southwest New England
JA of Southwest New England is an equal opportunity employer.